Tuesday, March 12, 2019

My father taught me. Part 1

I believe that different people comes to your life to teach you something. Everybody is where needs to be and that there are certain things we need to go through, don't ask me why, I don't think anybody can answer that.
My students are researching about social issues and poverty is one of those topics, so I like to tell them a little true story.
My father came from a very poor family, he lived in a border town, the same town I was born, and I had the luck to learn to appreciate so many things thanks to him. He was a still a kid when his father send him and his older brother to work and try to earn some money, my father found a man who was make small ornaments and sculptures in the street and ask him to give him the chance to sell them, he looked at my father and said "You will steal all my decorations" how could you blame him. My father stared at him and said in a serious tone " I promise I will sell them all and come back" something in that child's eyes convinced him, so he agreed. My father came back after two hours with no decorations left and the money for the man, which he shared with my father.
Today I woke up feeling happy, happy for the life I got, happy for the tears I've shed, happy for the moments I've lived. I am where I want to be and I enjoy everything I have, everything I've been working hard to build. Friendship, love, self respect, self-esteem. I am grateful.
Thank you dad, for teaching me to do my best and to learn all I can, and to be brave enough to try everything.

2 comments:

  1. That's a great story to share with your kiddos. Students can become very invested in social issues, and it's great that you're promoting them to learn more about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bridge, it's funny how they sometimes think is all in the books, stories about people they don't know, I think it is importante they realizó, social issues can affect anyone.

      Delete